My bubba turns three next week. He asks me just about every day to make him into a superhero. Usually this involves fastening some sort of towel, sheet, pillowcase, or random item of clothing around his neck…
To aid in the pretend play, I thought it would be fun to make him his very own “Super Doc” cape. We went to Hobby Lobby the other day and I let him pick out fabric. Thankfully he is blissfully unaware of just about everything so he had no clue that the fabric was for him. I found a great free pattern on Pinterest from Vanilla Joy.
The pattern was very easy to assemble and use. I did change the neckline a bit from the directions that were written. Instead of using a ribbon for the neck tie, I drew tabs on to the neck so I could cut the whole thing from one piece of fabric. See the middle picture below. I figured the fewer seams, the more durable this would be for my very rough-and-tumble kiddo…
Once I got the fabric cut, it was time to design the “Super D” for the back of the cape. I looked through Google Images to get an idea of the shape of the Superman logo and I just modified it to put a “D” in the middle instead of an “S”.
Once I cut the template, it was easy to trace this on to my blue fabric and cut it out. Then I traced the cut fabric on a piece of iron-on adhesive (follow the directions for your specific brand). This allowed me to iron the “D” on to the back of the cape so it wouldn’t move around while I appliqued it on to the orange fabric.
Once the applique was complete, it was easy to assemble the cape. Just place right sides together and stitch the whole way around the fabric. Leave an opening about 6 inches long someplace on the bottom so you can turn the fabric right side out. Once it’s turned, press the edges flat and do a top stitch the whole way around again. Finally, attach some Velcro to the tabs at the neck. I made the Velcro pieces pretty long so the cape is adjustable.
And there you have it! Doc hasn’t tried it on yet…I’m going to save it for his birthday. But Addison modeled it for me so I could make sure the fit was ok. It’s going to be perfect!! All together, this took me about 3 hours including cutting the fabric, drawing the template for the “D”, hand stitching the “D” on the cape, and assembling the whole thing. It was a super easy project. This would be a great starter pattern for someone who wants to learn how to sew. If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it turns out!
- 1 yard fabric for outer cape (could probably actually get away with 2/3 yards…I had leftovers)
- 1 yard fabric for lining
- matching thread
- paper for drawing template
- 1/4 yard fabric for applique
- matching embroidery floss
- Iron-on adhesive (about an 8″ square)
Share This Post!